MARAS - MORAY TOUR FULL DAY
- DETAILLS -
The tour of Maras - Moray is on the path to the Sacred Valley, located between Urubamba and Chinchero. It is one of the most mysterious places in Cusco. This tour takes place every day in groups and private. We’ll visit the community of Maras and its picturesque streets, the circular terraces of Moray and finally the salt mines, where the salt is still processed using traditional methods. On this tour we’ll also appreciate snow-capped mountains, farming fields and villages full of color and tradition.
Two of the most important tourist attractions in the Sacred Valley of the Incas are Maras and Moray. In these places you can see part of our millenary culture and tradition in its different stages such as pre-Inca, Inka, colonial and republican. We invite you to know a little more about these tourist attractions and visit a part of the beautiful sacred valley.
Moray was possibly an Inca agricultural research center where crop experiments were carried out at different altitudes.
During the month of October hundreds of people from neighboring communities attend the circular terraces of Moray to celebrate the Moray Raymi or Fiesta del Sol. The celebrations include folk dances related to land, agricultural products and labor.
In Maras, its church and houses still have the crests of indigenous nobility in their facades.
The salt mines of Maras are made up of about 3000 small wells with an average area of about 5 m² each.
MARAS & MORAY TOUR
This tour allows you to know Maras and the agricultural terraces of Moray. You will enjoy the beautiful natural scenery along the way. We start the tour by picking you up from your hotel at 09:00 am in a tourist bus, to go to the town of Chinchero, then we’ll head to the picturesque town of Maras, the importance of this place is given by the salt mines that it owns, which we will visit.
Then we’ll go to Moray, which is composed of a group of circular terraces of different sizes, which in Inca times were used as an agricultural experimental center; here it was where they performed their studies of plant adaptation to new ecosystems.
At each site that you visit you will have time to enjoy the scenery and take pictures. After the tour ends you’ll return to the city of Cusco. The entire tour takes about 5 hours, that’s why we will be back to the city of Cusco approximately at 14:30.
- Official tour guide fluent in English, Spanish and Quechua
- The entrance fees to the archaeological and tourist sites are not included. Please note that you will need to purchase a tourist pass to enter the sites on this tour. You can purchase a partial tourist pass for 70 soles (about $25 USD) if you plan to only visit Moray and the sites in the Sacred Valley during your trip. However, if you plan to visit sites in both the Sacred Valley and Cusco, we recommend you purchase the full tourist pass for 130 soles (about $45 USD). It is not necessary to purchase the tourist pass in advance, as you can get it at the first site we visit on the tour.
- Please note that the Maras salt mines has its own entrance ticket which costs 10 soles per person (about $3.50 USD).
- Meals: There are no meals served during this tour. You should be back in Cusco in time to enjoy lunch on your own.
- Tip for your guide and drive.
WHAT TO BRING
- Good sneakers or light hiking boots
- A small day backpack to carry your personal belongings
- Comfortable clothing
- Money for the tourist pass and Qoricancha entrance ticket
- Rain gear
- Water and snacks
List of objects to take to the tour.
This tour leaves every day of the year.
- Pre payment per person: 50% of the payment per person
- Balance: 50% before departure. - Terms and Conditions -
- PERSON - - PRICE - 2 $ 80.00 3 - 4 $ 70.00 5 - 7 $ 60.00 8 - More $ 40.00
Get On Touch