HUCHUY QOSQO TREK FULL DAY
- DETAILLS -
Huchuy Qosqo Trek Full Day, offers you two equally attractive options with a lot of diversity of landscapes, flora and fauna of the Andes of the Sacred Valley. the first is by Chinchero, Tauca until arriving at Huchuy Qosqo, the second one is by Tambomachay, Pucamarca until arriving at the ruins of Huchuy Qosqo.
This complex is the most important archaeological center in the Urubamba Valley, after Ollantaytambo and Pisac. The ruins are impressive, although the conservation of the site is inferior to that of Ollantaytambo or Pisac, because they are older. But unlike the aforementioned places Huchuy Qosqo has a peculiar architecture: the buildings have been built on polished stone bases of fine finish, with clay plaster (they are the best preserved parts) and the highest floors are made of adobe.
- Starting Altitude - 3848 meters / 12624 feet.
- Highest Altitude - 4150 meters / 13615 feet.
- Walking Distance - 12 km / 7.46 miles
- Overall Difficulty - Moderate
- STARTING POINT: - Cusco at your hotel
The Hispanic chronicles refer that Huchuy Qosqo (probably a place known in Inca times as Caquia Jaquijahuana) was the favorite work and place of the Inca Wiracocha.
A kallanka of at least 40 to 50 meters long is observed. Also a remarkable building with two stone floors and one upper one of adobe. There are also large terraces, a very large square and a large Inca gate through which passes a very well preserved road that leads from Tambomachay.
- OPTION 1: CUSCO – TAUCA – HUCHUY QOSQO – CUSCO
- OPTION 2: CUSCO - TAMBO MACHAY - PUCAMARCA - HUCHUY QOSQO - CUSCO
OPTION 1: CUSCO – TAUCA – HUCHUY QOSQO – CUSCO
We will leave Cusco at 6:30am on a private bus that will take us to Chinchero and then Tauca (3750m), the starting point of our trek. We will hike uphill through a mountain landscape with presence of llamas and alpacas until we get to the mountain pass at 4500masl. the landscape begins to change dramatically to Puna, with scant vegetation, mainly “ichu” or high altitude grass. The views of the Cordillera Vilcanota peaks are spectacular. We will then descend for approximately 1.5 hours more to reach the Inca archaeological site of Huchuy Qosqo, We will walk downhill towards the Leon Punku ravine, where you will find remains of an Inca bridge and trail, arriving we will visit these wonderful ruins, (Huchuy Qosqo (“Little Cuzco”) is a Noteworthy Inca complex. It boasts very fine stonework in a large Kallanka (rectangular Hall), some residential and defensive quarters and interesting two-story buildings in stone and adobe). After lunch, we will decende to Lamay, where our private transportation will be waiting for us to take us to your hotel in Cusco.
OPTION 2: CUSCO - TAMBO MACHAY - PUCAMARCA - HUCHUY QOSQO - CUSCO
We will leave early from Cusco and take private transportation to the interesting ruins of Tambo Machay. From where we will climb to achieve spectacular scenery over the city of Cusco. Then we cross the mountains, we will pass some beautiful Andean lakes and fields where the llamas graze. Here the villagers grow potatoes, and other crops depending on the season. Then we follow an Inca road descending to a village of stone cabins, with thatched roofs.
During the day we will cross four little high passes, the highest is 4000 m. After about 6 hours we will arrive at a small hamlet known as Pucamarca Community for lunch.
After lunch, we will continue our trek to the Puma Puncu canyon ( “the puma door” ). From here, you will hike along an original Incan trail, which has be restored as part of the Qapacñan project. This trail will lead you to the isolated and mysterious Inca site of Huchuy Qosqo (“the little Cusco’’) perched above the Sacred Valley of the Incas at 3600 MASL/11811 FT. Once in the site, your guide will walk you through and show you all the site’s amazing Inca buildings like sacred temples, storehouses, Inca terraces for agriculture and the Inca reservoir used to store water during the dry season.
After your guided tour of the site, we will begin our 2-hour walk downhill to the village of Lamay (2,800 meters) by the Urumbamba River in the Sacred Valley, where a bus will be waiting to take you back to your hotel in Cusco.
INCLUDED FOR THE FIRST AND SECOND OPTION
- Pre-trek briefing with your tour guide.
- All private transport.
- Pick up from your hotel and private transport from Cusco to starting point of the trek.
- Professional guide.
- First-aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle.
- Huchuy Qosqo entrance fee.
- Transport from Lamay to Cusco.
- Meals (1 lunch)
NOT FOR THE FIRST AND SECOND OPTION
- Walking Sticks: you can hire from our company
- Additional horses for extra personal luggage above that of the personal item allowance.
- Travel Insurance
- Optional up – grades (train and hotel)
- Tips (the amount you tip (or if you tip) is a personal decision and it is NOT an obligation.
WHAT TO BRING
- A backpack
- A beanie hat or ear warmer
- Sun hat
- A mid weight sweater
- A longsleeve t-shirt
- 1 – 2 t-shirts
- A lightweight suater or vest
- A pair of long pants
- Hiking shoes
- An extra pair of shoe
- 2 – 3 pairs wool socks
- A jacket
- A small towel
- Rain gear
- 1 – 2 pair shorts
- A small headlamp
- A toothbrust and other personal toiletries
- Toilet paiper
- Sun cream
- Camera and film
- Original passport (International Student Identity Card “ISIC” if applicable)
- Extra money for drinks.
- Emergency money at least 300-450 extra soles (USD$ 220)
List of objects to take to the trek.
This walk leaves every day of the year.
- Pre payment per person: 50% of the payment per person
- Balance: 50% before departure. - Terms and Conditions -
- PERSON - - PRICE - 2 $ 130.00 3 - 4 $ 110.00 5 - 7 $ 90.00 8 - More $ 70.00
“This Trek in Cusco is available on any date that is best suited for you as long as we have a minimum of 2 hikers”
Get On Touch